New Zealand work visa, the objective of the New Zealand Work Visa and Permit Policy is to contribute to the development of New Zealand industry and economy by attracting skilled migrants. Apply for New Zealand work permit online. Work Visas/Permits are granted on a temporary residence basis, that is, they specify the maximum amount of time you are allowed to live and work in New Zealand.
To qualify for a New Zealand Work Visa / Permit you must:
- Be in good health and of good character;
- Have a valid passport; and
- Genuinely intend to work lawfully in New Zealand for a limited time.
New Zealand’s Work Visa Requirements
Different work visa types may have different requirements, application forms, fees, or procedures. In general, to apply for a work visa in New Zealand you need:
- Proof of identity (passport or certificate of identity and two acceptable visa photographs).
- Proof of good health (completed health questionnaire and chest x-ray and a medical examination after arrival).
- Proof of good character (completed character questionnaire, Police Certificates from your country of origin and any country where you’ve lived at least five years since turning 17).
- Proof of being bona fide.
Every document you provide needs to be the original document or a certified copy. New Zealand work visa. When applying for a visa, you will typically find a guide on the official website that corresponds to each visa type. You are advised to read through this document beforehand to make sure you are on top of every requirement. Then you want to have each document with you ready for submission before beginning your application process.
Types of Temporary Work Visas
It is important to know that all work visas in New Zealand are temporary, even the specific visas that can lead to a permanent residence which are covered further in this guide. When talking about a temporary work visa in New Zealand that means these types of visas are not geared towards getting permanent residence. There are three main temporary work visas in New Zealand:
- Working Holiday Visa, which has a duration of one or two years;
- Essential Skills Work Visa, which allows you to stay between 1 and 5 years depending on your level of skill and the duration of the employment contract;
- Silver Fern Job Search Visa, which has a duration of 9 months.
Qualifying for permanent residence
If you have a Work to Residence (Long Term Skill Shortage) visa, to qualify for a Residence from Work permanent resident visa, you must:
- Be 55 or younger
- Have worked in New Zealand in an occupation on the Long Term Skill Shortage List for two years or more
- Currently be working in a full time, permanent position in either:
- The occupation for which your visa was originally granted, OR;
- Another occupation that is currently on the Long Term Skill Shortage List
- Be earning over NZ$45,000 per year
- Meet all the occupational requirements for your position, such as registration, if applicable